Monday, March 26, 2012

Spring Break: Part Trois

The posts were getting a little long, so I decided to break it down. I'm still talking about Iceland, so I guess this is still technically "Spring Break: Part Un" but post trois. Got it? Good.

Allora. Our last part of Iceland was the horse ride. We decided to do this because it was the number one "thing to do" near Reykjavik according to Trip Advisor. It was quite interesting actually. Icelandic horses are are much smaller than normal horses. My horse is named Gymir. Gymir is a little shy so I was instructed by Bekka--the woman in charge who may be one of the happiest people I've ever met--to talk to Gymir and just chill with him for a little bit. By the end of our chill sesh, Gymir and I were just like old friends--talking, laughing, joking around, wrestling. You know. The general man/horse relationship. Little did Gymir know that he (I think it is a he) would be carrying me around for the next hour. He (again, the gender assumption) was a very good tempered Icelandic horse as I did not have any issues. Justin's horse got a rock stuck in its hoof. We had to call AAA, who regretted to inform us that they didn't have roadside assistance in Iceland. Unreal.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures because Bekka said she would take some pictures for us and then E-Mail them to us. Still waiting to receive them...

After that, we got some sushi. My goal for the trip was to eat as much raw fish as possible. I think I did a pretty decent job.




We also went to the big church in Reykjavik. It was just a little different than the churches in florence... Check it out.






And that was Iceland. Afterwards, we got a cab to the airport where Justin and I would return back to Florence via Copenhagen (we had a 13 hour layover) and Paris. Before we left, I got a Viking beer at the airport. I felt it was appropriate.


I'm only going to mention a few things in Copenhagen because it is absolutely worth mentioning.

We went into the city to get a Danish meal. Unfortunately, the Danes eat earlier and everything was closed by 11:00 on a Monday night. We asked around for a good place to eat, and everyone gave us the same answer, "Oh, go to Rio Bravo. They have decent food and they are open till 4 am." Great, Rio Bravo it is.

So we finally walked into Rio Bravo, which turned out to be an American, Western themed restaurant. The restaurant was decked out. The nine yards. Barrels, hats, saddle chairs at the bar, whips, wood beams with inscriptions of towns in New Mexico, trough urinal, etc. We had quite the typical Danish meal. Not.



After dinner, we walked around trying to find a place to hang out for a few hours because we couldn't check in to our flight. We ended up getting in a cab and asking him what was opened, he told us nothing was open, but he would drive us around, which, to be honest, is less than ideal especially when Copenhagen is the most expensive city in Europe (I'm not sure if that's actually still true). He dropped us off at this tequila bar, where everyone was hammered, chain smoking, and sloppily dancing to Michael Jackson. I looked over and Justin, and we left. We ended up finding a quaint karaoke bar, called Sam's Bar in Copenhagen where we hung out for a bit. The crowd was interesting to say the least. A mixture of a group of friends, a few random guys who seemed to know each other, a woman who seemed to be on meth (or crack...not sure), and the bartender. The bartender actually had a great voice. You can see a video of the meth woman trying to sing here. When she is unable to do so, the bartender takes over and she just dances. It's actually quite funny.

After our little incident, we grabbed the metro back to the airport, checked in, and waited for our flight back to Florence (via Paris).

Spring Break: Part Deux (not post deux) to come shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment